It’s one of those things that you dream about as a little girl, walking into a shop filled with white dresses and sparkle. You’re with your favorite people and you’re about to begin the journey of finding the most important garment of your life; your wedding dress. As many of you may know, I actually already purchased my wedding dress back in December (YAY!). I wanted to share my experience along with some tips I learned along the way.
So my experience happened a little bit different than most. If any of you know me, or if I had talked to you about my dream wedding plans then you know that I knew what dress I wanted to get. For years I was obsessed with one gown and I told myself that that would be my wedding dress, no if’s and’s or butt’s. That dress for me was this one:
This is the Hayley gown by Hayley Paige. I was so convinced that this would be my wedding dress I really had no interest in trying on any others. In fact it was the first wedding gown I had put on my body. But something happened when I put it on. As I stared in the mirror looking at the dress and the first words that came out of my mouth were “its beautiful, it looks just like it does in photos!” The gown was beautiful, I looked beautiful, so why couldn’t I pull the trigger and buy my dream gown? Something was holding me back, as I looked at it more I realized that I didn’t feel beautiful in it. My heart wasn’t singing the way I wanted it to. There were things about it that I wanted to change and it just didn’t feel right. This is when I knew that this journey was going to be WAY different then I imagined. I ended up having two more bridal sessions before I found “the one” and let me tell you, if you would have told me that I would fall in love with the dress I bought, I would have laughed! I ended up getting something completely different then what was in my head, and that still trips me up a bit, but I hold onto the feeling that I had when I was wearing my dress. I wanted to share some tips that I learned along this journey that may help you with yours!
- Try on everything! – The second time I tried on wedding dresses, I went with some of my closest friends and I tried on everything! Even things I knew I wouldn’t like! You only experience this once, so why not have some fun with your close girlfriend!
- Go to more then one shop – Shops only have a limited number of gowns and though they all may be pretty, that doesn’t mean that they will have “the one.” Take the time to explore your options and make appointments and several shops, that way you are really seeing all the options you have.
- Don’t doubt something until you try it on – I was actually not thrilled about my dress when I saw it on the hanger. It’s when I put it on that the game changed. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover and try all your options, you never know what you’ll end up liking!
- The less entourage, the better – When I first went shopping I brought a bunch of my friends with me and we has such a blast! But as I became more serious about finding my gown I realized that I didn’t want to hear everyone’s opinions when it came to my wedding dress. I realized that I wanted to share the moment with just me, my mom and sister, and it was amazing. Not that I didn’t LOVE doing it with my friends, but I felt like it was more special and more serious when I went with a smaller group.
- Everyone’s experience is different – When I imagined finding my dress I thought it was going to be this magical moment, much like my engagement was. But you have to remember that everyone’s experience is different. Some people try on one dress and thats it! Others try on hundreds! Some brides burst into tears when they’ve found “the one.” If none of that happens, that is totally normal! You have to remember that this experience is personal to you, and just because there wasn’t fireworks and tears doesn’t mean that it’s not the dress for you!
Now I am ITCHING to show you all my dress! But you’ll have to wait awhile until you see. I will share some really cool insight with you though, I am the first ever bride to own the dress! (Which I think it pretty cool! 🙂 ) Remember that thins happen for a reason and your dream dress is out there waiting for you!!!!!
Check out this video of my wedding dress shopping experience!
Read more from my own wedding series!